Suikoden Underground Discussion Group

Suikoden Underground fans unite and talk about Suikoden Underground, along with Suikoden. This forum is for you all to tell us what you think.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rin_uzuki

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   9/5/2008, 7:01 pm

My "request" (it's more of an inquiry, I suppose) is a rather big one, so I thought I'd make a new topic in the requests thread. Hopefully that's alright. Very Happy

I've been interested in playing the Suikogaiden series for the longest time. I was hoping that somebody would eventually rip their copies, translate the game, and then go through and make an English version of the game. Free to download of course, since I don't think Konami has any intention of doing a US release of the game. Apparently doing this with PS1 games is obscenely difficult though (as opposed to like SNES games), so nobody's done it. TT__TT However, maybe that's a project we could put together! I'd totally be interested in trying to translate Suikogaiden (it's entirely text based, right?), though I'm sure my translation would be as amateur as ever and I'd probably take about 5 years to get through a game, but.. perhaps we can find people who're willing to do the technical work. I'd think it'd be a really fabulous project for Suikoden Underground, if someone else hasn't already translated the games or anything.

'Cause you own the games, right, Shu? I wanted to try and read the videos of the games that you uploaded, but I think the quality made some of the kanji difficult to read. Hmm.. looks like Suikosource has done something of a translation: http://www.suikosource.com/games/gaiden1/1/

Well, what do you guys think? Is a project like this possible?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/ramsus-kun/
Ryash
Admin

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   9/5/2008, 10:59 pm

Yes Rin I do own the games and plan on redoing the videos. I am not great at ripping games but if you have a PSOne Emulator I guess I could create a rom or find someone who will so you could play and translate them. I remember Blue Moon was willing to translate them but he/she wanted something like 5000 dollars. I would have donated a couple hundred if I knew the rest of it would be donated as well. Sad
But anyways even if you wanted to just translate a couple scenes. My Japanese is probably worse than yours, I would love the full translation of when Nash meets Eilie. I know she asks about Hero2 in the game but I want to know what else she says.
But I would love to be involved in a project like that. But we shall see. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suikodenundrground.forum-motion.com
rin_uzuki

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   10/5/2008, 10:43 am

I do have a PS1 emulator, actually... Very Happy
Is it very difficult to rip games? (I don't know the first thing about the process :p)
Ah, and I didn't mean any offense when I said that the quality of the videos made reading the Japanese difficult---it's really fabulous that you're going through all the trouble of uploading them and what not in the first place! I just couldn't watch them without thinking "man, I want to know what they're saying!!" or better yet, "man, I want to play this!!" XD

Uh... I guess you know first hand how good I am at starting projects, and how god-awful slow I am at finishing them (I'm still working away at the 4Koma and Anthology manga~! Really! Very Happy), but if you ever wanted to do all the work of ripping the game, I think it'd really be a fun translation project. (So I say, before it hits me just how much text a text-based videogame has...!)

I think it'd be cool if we could get together a whole group of skilled people who're interested in creating an in-English playable version of Suikogaiden. I know these sort of projects tend to die out, but if we can get a couple dedicated people who're willing to do the technical work, as well as maybe one other translator or so--'cause for something like this, we probably want to have more to go on than my slap-dash questionable translations Very Happy--then I think this could really be a reality. Yes, no, maybe so? I won't charge a cent, either. :p

I'd like to post around in various livejournals and stuff, looking for people interested in working on this project. Maybe we could use the Suikoden Underground thread as our base of operations? (I feel like I'm taking over or something...) I dunno if this is the permanent forum for SU or what, but it might bring more users here, too. :3
Back to top Go down
rin_uzuki

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   10/5/2008, 11:27 am

hoho... I'm totally double-posting here, but whatever. Very Happy
I'm taking another look at the Suikogaiden 1 videos you've got up and man, what a daunting project! I must be crazy to think a translator of my level could do a whole videogame--but... because it's daunting, it's also rather exciting, to tackle such an overwhelmingly large project. I'm liking the idea of a team of translators more and more, lol. Let's see if we can round up interested members! Then maybe we could make a translated .rom in a timely fashion. Yeah... *ponders*
Back to top Go down
Ryash
Admin

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   14/5/2008, 2:39 am

I found a ripping program but I rarely use emulators for the PSOne so I will upload the .bin and .cue files to Megaupload. Download them and tell me whether or not they work. If they work then great, if they don't then I can look for another program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://suikodenundrground.forum-motion.com
rin_uzuki

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   16/5/2008, 6:30 am

Woohoo! I just downloaded the .cue and .bin files you sent me---and it WORKS! How exciting! The sound in the opening cutscene (which is absolutely fabulous) is a little skippy, but I'm not entirely sure that wasn't the fault of me having other programs running. Very Happy

Alright, this is awesome! Now I just gotta create that Suikogaiden Translation Project page, and then we can start working on attracting people to help us make this project a reality. Thank you so much, Shu! You rock. Words can hardly describe how cool this is! XD
Back to top Go down
Nedoshi

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   10/8/2008, 10:19 am

wouldnt be awesome if the gaidens get translated for the PSP?

wish they would
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?   

Back to top Go down

Suikogaiden translation/ripping project?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1